All surfaces must be free of moisture, grease, dirt, rust and other foreign matter. Scrape off all loose paint and dull any gloss with a light sanding or power brushing. Remove all dust with a cloth dampened with paint thinner and allow surface to dry.
Steel: Clean all areas to bright steel. In most applications ALUMINUM BOAT PAINT can serve as its own primer.
Aluminum: Wipe down with white vinegar, prior to painting, in order to etch the surface. Touch up all bare areas with ALUMINUM BOAT PAINT. Top with one or two full coats. Previously Painted Surfaces: A small area should be tested for compatibility when using ALUMINUM BOAT PAINT over an existing coating.
Previously Painted Surfaces: A small area should be tested for compatibility when using ALUMINUM BOAT PAINT over an existing coating.
- Apply two thin coats of ALUMINUM BOAT PAINT on properly prepared surfaces.
- "Feather edge" last brush strokes to insure a smooth finish.
- Do not over apply.
- Maintain a wet edge to avoid lap marks.
- Do not paint in direct sunlight.
Application Temperature, air, surface & material: Minimum 50°F, Maximum 100°F. Do not apply when moisture is evident or expected. Relative Humidity: 85% maximum. At least 5°F above dew point.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
- Brush, natural bristle. Roller, short nap 1/4"-3/8" or mohair.
- Spray: For airless spray use a .013" to .017" orifice with minimum 1,850 psi at tip.
- Thinning: If thinning is desired use Xylene or MEK, not to exceed a half pint (8 ounces) per gallon.
- Clean Up: Immediately after use with Xylene or MEK. Precautions: Combustible. Avoid breathing spray or vapor. Use in well ventilated area.
- Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Safety Data Sheets available on request.
Refer to Safety Data Sheet for additional health and safety information.
Refer to Technical Data Pages for specific surface preparation, application, drying and further information.
*Disclaimer: on-screen color representations may vary from actual paint colors.
DURALUX Aluminum Paint offers a solution for all types of metal, and rusted surfaces. The excellent adhesion qualities make this coating an excellent topcoat but can also be used as a primer. This coating is ideal for commercial or pleasure boats, as well as on and offshore oil rigs, bridges, tanks, and other structural objects.
- Salt water resistant, washes easily, and resists oil, gasoline, and discoloration from Harbor gasses
- Semi-flat finish reduces drag on boat bottoms
- Self-priming in most applications