About this Product
Provide your family with protection against the health hazards of airborne asbestos fibers with Fiberlock ABC Asbestos Binding Compound. Featuring a non-flammable, high-solids formula, this asbestos encapsulation solution can be diluted with water to meet a variety of abatement applications. It meets EPA requirements for the effective encapsulation and removal of ACM and can also help control asbestos fibers found present in soil. Ensure surfaces are clean and repair defects before applying ABC with a professional airless sprayer. Follow all directions on label.
Fiberlock Technologies was founded upon the simple promise of providing the highest quality product and the best possible service to its customers while conducting business with the utmost integrity. Founded on the core beliefs that superior quality, definitive science and enduring service are the keys to corporate success, Fiberlock has grown to become one of the most respected names in the abatement and remediation industry.
- ASBESTOS ENCAPSULANT & SEALANT: Protect yourself and your family against the health hazards of asbestos fibers with Fiberlock ABC Asbestos Binding Compound.
- VERSATILE APPLICATIONS: Featuring a high-solids, non-flammable formulation, this asbestos sealer can be diluted with water to meet a variety of abatement needs, including lockdown/removal, penetrating encapsulation and bridging encapsulation.
- EPA COMPLIANT: Asbestos Binding Compound meets EPA standards for the effective encapsulation and removal of asbestos containing materials (ACM). It can also help control the hazards of exposure to asbestos fibers found in soil.
- EASY TO APPLY: Correct any surface defects and clean before application. Apply ABC with a professional-grade airless spray equipment. Follow all directions on label.
- FOR OVER 35 YEARS, Fiberlock Technologies has manufactured products used to address environmental, safety and health hazards, becoming one of the most respected names in the abatement and remediation industry.
- MFG SKU: 6422-5, 6423-5
- Encapsulates fireproofing and soil
- Class A fire rated
- Exceeds EPA standards for encapsulation
- Available in off-white, clear and green
- Store in a dry place at temperatures between 40°F (4.5°C) and 90°F (32°C).
- Approved respirators must be used to prevent inhalation of asbestos fibers that may be present in the air.
- Protective clothing should be worn.
- When applying with a sprayer, wear a NIOSH approved respirator with any R, P, N or HE filter.
Prior to application it is important to determine if the existing asbestos matrix is well adhered to the substrate. Correct any surface defects and clean all surfaces thoroughly. Be careful not to agitate asbestos fibers during preparation; this could increase asbestos exposure. Stir ABC thoroughly to achieve a uniform consistency. ABC may be diluted with water for different applications.
Professional models of all brands of airless spray equipment can be used to successfully apply ABC. Use the settings below when applying ABC:
Pressure: 1300 – 1400 P.S.I. Tip: .017 – .031
Pressure: 2200 – 3000 P.S.I. Tip: .017 – .023
Pressure: 2200 – 2300 P.S.I. Tip: .015 – .025
ENCAPSULATION INSTRUCTIONS PENETRANT
For most fibrous asbestos applications such as “cotton candy” style fireproofing or compressed acoustic material less than 2 inches thick, add 1 part water to 1 part ABC. Using the proper spray equipment settings listed, apply ABC to the ACM until saturated. Multiple passes may be required, allowing time between passes for dissipation of the solution into the matrix. Full saturation is achieved when the ACM will not absorb any more of the encapsulant into the matrix. Coverage, depending on thickness and porosity of the material, can vary between 50 – 75 sq. ft./gal.
A qualified asbestos professional should determine the necessary dry film thick ness for individual abatement projects. The necessary dry film thickness of a bridging encapsulant for asbestos containing materials (ACM) will vary from project to project as ACM can have a wide range of characteristics, including density, porosity, and surface profile. In the EPA’s Guidance for Controlling Asbestos-Containing Materials in Buildings (EPA 560 / 5-84024, June 1985), the primary instruction regarding dry film thickness states that when encapsulating ACM, the coating is to be applied “considerably thicker than recommended for painting. Coverage should be no more than 100 sq. ft. per gallon and should create a continuous, unbroken coating” (Section 5.1.3, page 5-8). For bridging applications, apply ABC at full strength with an airless sprayer in accordance with the settings listed below. Typical bridging applications are applied at a coverage rate of 75-100 sq. ft./gallon, which yields a dry film thickness between 6-10 mils on hard, cementitious ACM. For more information, contact Fiberlock or visit our website for the complete Specification for ABC.
Removal is recommended for loosely adhered ACM. Mix 4 parts water to 1 part ABC and apply to ACM. ABC will facilitate removal by penetrating into the ACM keeping it moist and sticky. After the ACM has been removed, apply 1 part ABC diluted with 1 part water to seal residual fibers left on substrate.
SOIL ENCAPSULATION INSTRUCTIONS PENETRANT
For encapsulation of soil contaminated with asbestos, mix one part ABC with one part water. Apply as a penetrating encapsulant to increase the dimensional stability of the soil, while reducing its porosity. For heavy clay or hard packed soils, the dilution rate may need to be increased to 2 parts water to one part ABC to improve penetration. Porous soils, such as those with high sand or gravel content, may require more product per square foot, or multiple applications of penetrating encapsulant solution.
Apply ABC full strength as a bridging encapsulant. Dry film thickness and application rate should be determined by a qualified asbestos professional as appropriate to the project site and goals.
Coverage depends on thickness and porosity of the material.
- Penetrant: 50-75 ft2 per gallon
- Penetrant (Soil): 30-35 ft2 per gallon.
- Bridging Agent: 75-100 ft2 per gallon.
- Bridging Agent (Soil): 75-100 ft2 per gallon.
- @ 70°F 50% R.H
- Drying time will vary based on thickness and porosity of the ACM being encapsulated.
- To Touch – 1-2 hours
Tools and drippings should be cleaned with warm soapy water before coating dries. Follow equipment manufacturer’s directions to clean spray equipment. Dispose of all waste according to current local, state and federal regulations.
Store in a dry place at temperatures between 40°F (4.5°C) and 90°F (32°C). Approved respirators must be used to prevent inhalation of asbestos fibers that may be present in the air. Protective clothing should be worn. When applying with a sprayer, wear a NIOSH approved respirator with any R, P, N or HE filter.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.